Last Updated on 05/11/2023
When trying to free up storage space on your smartphone or mobile device, you may notice that the official application of Reddit has bloated up in size on your local storage. The main culprit for this is the cache, which takes up more space the more you use the app.
To see how you can clear the cache of the Reddit App, you can follow the steps laid out in this tutorial at Overly Technical.
Can you clear cache in the Reddit App?
Unfortunately, there is no in-app setting where you can easily clear the cache from within the Reddit App. Instead, you can to delete these temporary files by using the menus of your operating system.
How to delete cache on Android
In order to clear the cache of the Reddit App on an Android smartphone or mobile device, you need to take the following steps:
1. Long press the Reddit icon on the home screen in order to bring up a small pop-up menu.
2. You then need to tap the circular “i” icon from the small pop-up menu in order to get the App Info menu of Reddit.
3. From there, you need to select Storage & Cache from the list of options.
4. Inside the Storage menu of Reddit, you should use the storage size the application is currently taking up. It is broken up in the following four categories:
- App Size
- User Data
5. Tap the Clear Cache option near the top of the Storage menu in order to delete all the temporary files of the Reddit App.
You can also tap the Clear Storage option, which will delete the temporary files as well as the user data. Keep in mind that, if you delete the user data as well, then you would be sign out of your account when you use the application again. Therefore, you will need to log back in again.
How to clear cache on iOS
In order to clear the cache of the Reddit App on your iPhone or iOS device, then you can try doing the following:
1. Delete the application.
2. Download and install the Reddit App from the Apple App Store.
3. Once the application has been freshly installed, the temporary files should all be deleted. Thus, it should take up less space on the local storage than before.