Last Updated on 05/11/2023
The PayPal mobile app uses a light theme by default as it features a white background. If you would rather use a dark mode or night mode instead for this payment application, then you can take a look at this step-by-step tutorial at Overly Technical.
Can you enable dark more or night mode in the PayPal app?
Unfortunately, you aren’t able to switch from the default light them to either a dark theme or a night theme from within the PayPal mobile application. Instead, you will have to force the dark mode for the app through your smartphone’s system settings.
How to force dark mode or night mode for PayPal app on Android
If you have a recent Android phone, then you will be able to force the PayPal mobile app to display a dark theme.
For this guide, we will be using the Google Pixel 6 smartphone with the Android 12 operating system.
To force dark mode for PayPal, you need to take the following steps:
1. If you haven’t done so already, make sure you close the PayPal app.
2. Next, you need to open the Settings app on your phone.
3. In the first page of the Settings app, select the “About phone” option.
4. After getting to the “About phone” menu, you need to tap “Build number” several times in a row until you see the “You are now a developer!” message.
The “Developer options” menu will be unlocked. Your Android phone may have another method to unlocking this menu. So, if the aforementioned method did not work, then you need to search for your phone and the term “developer options” to see how you can unlock this hidden menu.
5. After unlocking the “Developer options” menu, head back to the very first page of the Settings app.
6. In the first page of Settings, you will need to tap System.
7. Inside of System, you then need to tap “Developer options.”
8. After finally getting to the “Developer options” menu, make sure that the “Use developer options” setting has been enabled.
9. Finally, you need to turn on the “Override force-dark” setting from the “Developer options” menu.
How to force dark mode or night mode for PayPal app on iPhone
If you have a recent iPhone, then you can also force the PayPal app into dark mode or night mode by doing the following:
1. Make sure the PayPal app is closed before you begin.
2. Head to the Settings of your iPhone.
2. In the Settings menu, you will have to select Accessibility.
3. After getting to Accessibility screen, you to select “Display & Text Size.”
4. Finally, make sure that the “Smart Invert” setting has been enabled.
Both the “Override Force-Dark” setting of Android phones and the “Smart Invert” setting of iPhones will force all apps, including the PayPal application, to display a dark theme. Because this is forced, some texts and/or icons may blend in too much into the background.
So, if you don’t like the look of this forced dark mode or night mode for the PayPal app, or other apps, then you may want to disable the “Override Force-Dark” and “Smart Invert” settings.