Last Updated on 05/11/2023
When using the official Reddit mobile application, you may notice that the battery of your device is draining faster than usual.
To see how you can get more efficient battery usage when using this app, you can take a look at this article from Overly Technical.
1. The first step we recommend taking is to look through the system menus of your device to see if you are able to restrict battery usage for the Reddit App.
If you have a Google Pixel 6 with the Android 12 operating system, for example, then you can do the following:
- Open the Settings App for the device.
- Once you get inside of Settings, select Apps.
- From the Apps menu, you then need to select “See All Apps.”
- In the All Apps menu, select Reddit from the list of installed applications.
- From the App Info menu of Reddit, select Battery.
- After getting to the Battery Usage menu of Reddit, Select the Restricted option.
2. If the Reddit App is auto-playing videos and showing images, then it will take up more hardware resources and bandwidth. As a result, the battery will deplete faster.
To prevent the application from showing these medias automatically, you need to do the following:
- Open the Reddit App and then tap the human icon located on the top right corner.
- Select Settings.
- Inside of Settings, make sure that you set Autoplay to Never and Thumbnails to Never Show.
For more information about how you can further reduce bandwidth usage when it comes to the Reddit App, you can take a look at this guide.
3. We also recommend that you disable animations. You can do so by returning to the Settings menu of the Reddit App. Afterwards, make sure that the Reduce Animations setting is turned on.
4. Furthermore, you should use a dark theme or night theme. By doing so, your screen doesn’t need to be as bright, which means that your device won’t have to waste energy outputting brighter images.
In order to use Reddit in a dark theme, you need to take the following steps:
- Open the Reddit App and then select the human icon on the top right side.
- In the menu that opened up, you should see a crescent moon icon located on the bottom right side. You can use this icon to switch between the dark and light themes.
To further customize the dark theme settings of the Reddit App, you can check out this post.
5. It is also a good idea to keep the Reddit App updated to the latest version as a new release may be more battery efficient.
6. Moreover, you should keep the device where the application is installed on updated as well since a new firmware may help with reducing the battery drain.
7. When not using the Reddit App, you should close it to free up hardware resources.
You should also consider force stopping the application. To do so with the Pixel 6, for example, you need to return to the App Info menu of the Reddit App. From there, you need to select the Force Stop option.