With the Crunchyroll mobile application, you can watch anime with English or Japanese voiceovers to go along with subtitles. In the U.S., English subtitles are enabled by default.
If you want to change the subtitle language, or disabled closed captioning altogether, when watching a video in the Crunchyroll app, then you can check out this step-by-step guide at Overly Technical.
How to change or disable subtitles in the Crunchyroll mobile app without an account
1. If you haven’t done so already, make sure you have the Crunchyroll app downloaded and installed on your smartphone or mobile device.
You can find this application in the Google Play Store if you are using an Android phone or device.
This appear should appear on the Apple App Store if you are using an iPhone or iOS device.
2. With the Crunchyroll app installed, open it.
3. Inside the Crunchyroll app, open a video that you want to watch.
4. When the video is playing tap the video player to bring up the overlay menu.
Make sure that the video player is showing the actual video and not an advertisement.
5. In the overlay menu, tap the gear wheel icon that should be on the top right corner.
If you don’t tap the gear wheel icon quickly enough, then the overlay menu will disappear. To make this menu appear again, simply tap the video player.
6. You should now be in the Playback Settings menu.
Here, you need to tap the “Subtitles/CC” option.
7. After getting to the “Subtitles/CC” menu, you can either change the display language for the subtitles are disable subs from appearing on the screen of the video player altogether.
How to change or disable subtitles in the Crunchyroll mobile app an account
If you have a Crunchyroll account, then you can do the following:
1. On the front page of the app, tap the Account option on the lower right corner.
2. In the My Account menu, select Subtitle Language.
3. In the Subtitle Language menu, you can change the language or completely turn off closed captioning.
How to re-enable subtitles for videos in the Crunchyroll mobile app
If you want to turn back on subtitles for Crunchyroll mobile app, then you can take the following steps:
1. Launch the Crunchyroll application.
2. With the application opened, select a video to watch.
3. With the video playing (make sure that it is not a video ad), tap the video.
4. In the overlayed menu that appears, quickly tap the gear wheel icon to head to the Playback Settings menu.
5. Afterwards, tap “Subtitles/CC.”
6. From the “Subtitles/CC” menu, you can turn back on subtitles by selecting the language of your choice.