When trying to access your tax information in the IRS2Go mobile application, you may end up getting the following message:
“Error retrieving information. Try again.”
To see how you can potentially fix this issue, you can take a look at this troubleshooting guide at Overly Technical.
1. The first potential fix we recommend taking is to try closing the IRS2Go app and then re-opening it again.
Before re-opening the official IRS app again, you may want to close any other apps that you have currently opened as multiple applications running at the same time may cause issues due to conflicts.
2. You can also try disabling and then re-enabling your internet connection.
3. Try to switch to another internet connection if possible. If your phone has both Wi-Fi and mobile then try using the app with just one of these connections enabled to see if you are still getting the “error retrieving information” message.
4. You may also want to consider restarting your smartphone or mobile device as doing so will help close any background processes that may be taking up a lot of hardware resources on your device, which may lead to issues when using IRS2Go.
5. Moreover, you can also try deleting the cache and app data from IRS2Go app.
If you have the Google Pixel 6 or Google Pixel 6 Pro, for instance, you can go to Settings > Apps > See all apps > IRS2Go > Storage & cache. You can then select “Clear cache” to only delete the temporary files or “Clear storage” to remove all of the stored data from the application.
6. If the internet connection on your smartphone or mobile device is working just fine, then the issue may be related to when you are using the app.
Currently, the IRS servers have the following scheduled down times:
- For server maintenance, IRS will sometimes be inaccessible from 1:00 am EST to 7:00 am EST on Sunday.
- You won’t be able to use the “Where’s My Refund?” from 12:00 am EST to 3:00 am EST on Monday.
Moreover, the “Refund Trace” feature also won’t be available in the following times:
- 12:00 am EST to 7:00 pm EST on Sunday
- 12:00 am EST to 6:00 am EST on Monday
- 3:30 am EST to 6:00 am EST on Tuesday
- 3:30 am EST to 6:00 am EST on Wednesday
- 3:30 am EST to 6:00 am EST on Thursday
- 3:30 am EST to 6:00 am EST and then 9:00 pm EST to 12:00 am EST on Friday
The IRS2Go servers can also go down during other times due to being overloaded, especially during tax season, as well as when other unforeseen issues occur.
So, if you were getting the “error retrieving information” message when trying to use this app during any of the aforementioned down times, then you can try again in a time window when the servers should be online and functioning normally.
7. If you are still seeing this error code, then you try to use the IRS2Go app on another device.
8. You can also try using the official IRS website instead to see if you can access your tax information by using a desktop or mobile web browser.
9. Last but not least, you can simply try calling IRS directly if you need to retrieve your tax information as soon as possible.
Keep in mind that it can take up to a week after IRS has approved your tax filing for your tax information to be accessible.
If you are also getting the “refund status error” and “information does not match” error messages, then you can take a look at this tutorial.